contracted adj : reduced in size or pulled together; "the contracted pupils of her eyes" [ant: expanded]
- past of contract
Contraction may refer to:
- Contraction (childbirth), a contraction during childbirth (basically referring to muscle contraction)
- Contraction (grammar), a word formed from two or more individual words.
- Syncope, the loss or reduction of sounds within a word.
- Braille contraction, used to decrease space and increase reading speed
- Economic contraction, a reversal of economic growth; the opposite of economic expansion.
- The reverse of thermal expansion
- Contraction mapping, in mathematics, a type of function on a metric space
- Edge contraction or vertex contraction, graph operations used in graph theory
- Muscle contraction, one that occurs when a muscle fiber lengthens or shortens
- Tensor contraction in tensor theory (in mathematics)
- Contraction, a stage in wound healing
- A structural rule in proof theory, see idempotency of entailment
contracted in German: Kontraktion
contracted in Spanish: Contracción
contracted in French: Contraction
contracted in Polish: Kontrakcja
Spartan, abated, abbreviated, ablated, abridged, affianced, agreed, aposiopestic, arranged, assured, attenuated, bated, belittled, betrothed, blank, blind, blind-alley, bound, brief, brusque, cecal, choked, choked off, clamped, clipped, close, closed, committed, compact, compacted, compendious, compressed, compromised, concentrated, concise, condensed, consolidated, constricted, consumed, covenanted, cramped, crisp, curt, curtailed, cut, dead, dead-end, decreased, deflated, diminished, dissipated, docked, dropped, elliptic, engaged, epigrammatic, eroded, fallen, gnomic, guaranteed, intended, knitted, laconic, less, lesser, lower, lowered, miniaturized, nipped, obligated, pinched, pinched-in, pithy, pledged, plighted, pointed, promised, pruned, puckered, pursed, reduced, reserved, retrenched, scaled-down, sealed, sententious, settled, shorn, short, short and sweet, shortened, shorter, shrunk, shrunken, shut, signed, smaller, solidified, squeezed, squeezed shut, stipulated, strangled, strangulated, succinct, summary, sworn, synopsized, taciturn, terse, tight, to the point, truncated, undertaken, underwritten, unopen, unopened, unvented, unventilated, warranted, wasp-waisted, watered-down, weakened, worn, wrinkled